Alpha Heating Innovation welcomes a new report on Carbon Monoxide poisoning from the Gas Safety Trust and believes more must be done to cut down the number of unregistered heating installers.
Sean Keleher, Quality and Training Manager at Alpha Heating Innovation, says the report provides detailed and insightful information on not only the instances of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, but the reasons behind the pattern of occurrences since 2006.
Whilst older boilers remain one of the leading causes, the report also highlights the impact of issues resulting from poor installation – such as ventilation – and the need for heating engineers to adhere to best practice.
“The number of installations that do not comply with any standards has risen each year, and this highlights a worrying trend that installers are not using best practice during installations. Since 2005-6 the percentage of installations not complying to any appropriate standard has declined to around 25% in 2009-10.
“Although figures are going down, there must be more done to highlight the importance of best practice to installers and to communicate to the consumer how vital it is that anyone working on a gas appliance must be Gas Safe Registered.
“As manufacturers, we strive to ensure that our products are always fitted according to guidelines and by those who are appropriately qualified. Those working in the heating industry at all levels should take heed of the Gas Safety Trust report and adjust their practices as necessary.”