From lockdowns to washouts, it is safe to say that this summer hasn’t gone the way many of us would have hoped. However, at Alpha Heating Innovation, we want to make sure that nobody can say the same about winter. We’re committed to helping make sure our customers get the most from their boiler systems during this period. As such, here is our guide to heating system energy efficiency. It also includes some handy tips on the best ways to improve your heating system performance and also reduce your bills.
How do we measure boiler efficiency?
Assessing a boiler’s energy efficiency is a relatively simple process. In short, it is measured by calculating the percentage of total energy used by a boiler in order to create ‘useable’ heat. For example, the latest condensing boilers can operate at up to 94% efficiency. This means that 94% of the total energy that these boilers use is outputted as heat, with the other 6% being ‘wasted’ during the heating process. A 25 year old non-condensing boiler, which might operate with around 60% efficiency, therefore loses around 40% of its total energy input to things other than producing ‘useable’ heat. Clearly, there’s a financial and environmental incentive to upgrade older and inefficient boiler units.
What is an ErP Energy Label?
Since 2010, most white goods, light bulb packaging and cars have been required to display an EU Energy Label. The pictogram label, which denotes the energy efficiency rating of the product it is attached to is broken down between categories of A to G. The most efficient products are given an A rating, which highlights that they perform with an efficiency rating of 90% and above. Conversely, any product with an efficiency rating below 70% is given a G rating. So older boilers, especially ones that are more than 25 years old are unlikely to be rated on the ErP scale. If they were to be tested, many of these older systems would likely be awarded ratings below G, which is why it is so important to upgrade them.
How can I save more energy if I have a relatively new boiler?
There are a number of steps you can take. Make sure to arrange an annual boiler service so it is consistently providing the level of performance it is designed to. If neglected, boilers can develop faults, which cause them to underperform and waste more energy than they need to. Be preemptive - and resolve issues before they emerge.
You can also look into smart domestic heating controls and thermostats, which can further reduce energy consumption within a home. This is because they give homeowners more control over their boiler performance and enable more reactive decision-making when it comes to programming the system’s day to day timings. To this end, domestic heating controls have been shown to help homeowners save money and drastically reduce annual bills. Innovative smart systems, such as our own Alpha Connect solution, can be set up to be controlled wirelessly via a mobile phone or tablet, meaning they are accessible to everyone and can be programmed while at home or on the go.
Find out more about our Alpha Connect wireless thermostat.
For more easy ways to avoid wasting energy and save on your heating bills, without sacrificing home comforts, take a look at our Practical Heating Tips.